Microbiology & Biotechnology
Bacteria are our silent companions: They colonize not only our bodies in great variety, and are important for our health and fitness they are also of importance for the global nutrient cycles and have impact of climate changes. In addition, microorganisms are important tools of biotechnology .
We focus on several aspect of applied and basic microbiology:
- Functional metagenomics in the search for new biocatalysts →
- Marine biotechnology →
- Microbial biofilms: analytics, architecture and omics (AimM Flyer) →
- Cell-cell communication in bacteria →
- Physiology and diversity of ammonia → and nitrite → oxidizing bacteria
We teach in the following Master and Bachelor of Sciences programs:
- BSc Biologie
- MSc Biologie
- BSc/ BA Biologie Lehramt Gymnasium
- BSc Molecular Life Sciences
- MSc Molecular Life Sciences
Within these programs we also offer students the possibilities to finish their thesis in our labs. Please, enquire for more detailed project descriptions.
ESSIB 2023 in Hamburg
The 5th European Summer School on Industrial Biotechnology (ESSIB) will take place in Hamburg from July 3 to 7, 2023. The topic is Functional metagenomics: from nature to biochemical functions with a special focus on microbial and enzymatic plastic degradation. For the first time, ESSIB will be organised as a workshop together with the EU project FuturEnzyme. The ESSIB is aimed at PhD students and postdocs and offers lectures, a poster session and a laboratory course "Hands-On Metagenomics". For more information, please visit www.ESSIB.eu.