Microbiology & Biotechnology
Bacteria are our silent companions: They colonize not only our bodies in great variety, and are important for our health and fitness they are also of importance for the global nutrient cycles and have impact of climate changes. In addition, microorganisms are important tools of biotechnology .
We focus on several aspect of applied and basic microbiology:
- Metagenomics, biotechnology, enzymatic plastic degradation →
- Biofilms: Analytics, architecture and omics →
- Microbial Diversity and 'One Health' →
- Physiology and diversity of ammonia → and nitrite → oxidizing bacteria
We teach in the following Master and Bachelor of Sciences programs:
- BSc Biologie
- MSc Biologie
- BSc/ BA Biologie Lehramt Gymnasium
- BSc Molecular Life Sciences
- MSc Molecular Life Sciences
Within these programs we also offer students the possibilities to finish their thesis in our labs. Please, enquire for more detailed project descriptions.
Symposium 3 May 2024 in Hamburg
The Future of Biotechnology and Biofilm Research
We are looking forward to many participants, exciting lectures and discussions on the topic of The Future of Biotechnology and Biofilm Research. Take a look at the programme here. The symposium will take place in the Carl von Linné lecture hall of the Institute of Plant Sciences and Microbiology. An evening session will be updated soon. Please register by email to inka.sievers-helling"AT"uni-hamburg.de if you are interested in attending the symposium.