Microbiology & Biotechnology
Bacteria are our silent companions: They colonize not only our bodies in great variety, and are important for our health and fitness they are also of importance for the global nutrient cycles and have impact of climate changes. In addition, microorganisms are important tools of biotechnology .
We focus on several aspect of applied and basic microbiology:
- Functional metagenomics in the search for new biocatalysts →
- Marine biotechnology →
- Microbial biofilms: analytics, architecture and omics (AimM Flyer) →
- Cell-cell communication in bacteria →
- Physiology and diversity of ammonia → and nitrite → oxidizing bacteria
We teach in the following Master and Bachelor of Sciences programs:
- BSc Biologie
- MSc Biologie
- BSc/ BA Biologie Lehramt Gymnasium
- BSc Molecular Life Sciences
- MSc Molecular Life Sciences
Within these programs we also offer students the possibilities to finish their thesis in our labs. Please, enquire for more detailed project descriptions.
ESSIB 2022 in Hamburg
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we decided to postpone the 5th European Summer School on Industrial Biotechnology in Hamburg to July 4-8 in 2022. The Summer School with the focus "Functional metagenomics: from nature to biochemical functions" adresses PhD students and postdocs, preferentially from Europe. We try to keep the program concept created in 2020 as much as possible and maintain the invitation of all participants. If you are interested in participating, we look forward to receiving your application to email@example.com. Please find more details at www.ESSIB.eu.