Molecular Evolutionary Biology
In the research unit „Molecular Evolutionary Biology“, we investigate adaptation mechanisms to abiotic and biotic factors in arthropods with state-of-the-art molecular biological, biochemical, genetical and bioinformatical methods.
The focus of our research lies on:
· Evolution of adaptation to toxic plant secondary compounds in phytophagous insects
· Molecular basis of those adaptations and their functional characterization
· Reconstruction of the evolution of adaptation via molecular phylogenies
· Causes of shifted gender relations in flea beetles
· Studies of gene expression and de novo transcriptome-assembly
We provide classes in the following degree programs: BSc Biology, BSc Molecular Life Sciences, MSc Biology and BSc/MSc Biology for teachers. We supervise bachelor and master theses in all mentioned degree programs (Previous theses in our lab). We are happy about every interested students!