Philosophy of the Department
The Department of Biology is a space that values diversity, inclusion and equal opportunity.
- We are committed to non-discrimination in all areas. This includes personal, gender-, or cultural-based discrimination as well as sexual harassment or assault in any form.
- We stand for equal treatment of persons independent of world view, religion, nationality, age, physical ability, biological sex, sexual orientation, or sexual identity.
- We embrace differing views and approaches with respect and impartiality, which nurtures the colorful, vibrant and open-minded culture within the department.
- We invite students and staff of the Department of Biology to join us in our mission and actively take part in upholding its principles.
Should any individuals nevertheless violate any of these tenets, we strongly encourage you to take action by reporting to the incident to the appropriate body. If you are unable or do not wish to address the involved parties directly, several contact persons within the department and presidential offices of the UHH are available for confidential discussion:
Contact Persons for Students
- The departmental student body
- Prof. Jutta Schneider as representative for studies and teaching
- Staff of the academic office biology
- Head of the department and department advisor
- Contact and advice centre for sexual harassment, discrimination and violence
Contact Persons for Employees
- Department leadership and the department advisor
- Heads of the four departmental institutes (IPM , IZS, IMF, IHW)
- The equal opportunity representative of the four departmental institutes
- Contact person for sexualised discrimination and harassment at the UHH, Angelina Baster
All of these persons and contact points will take the time to listen to your experiences - which in these circumstances are always regrettably distressing - treat them with confidentiality, and work together with you to toward immediate resolutions and, if necessary, disciplinary action against the violation.
Should the circumstances of the incident burden you to the point of requiring more in-depth support and consultation, resources such as the Psychological Counseling for Students are available for students. Employees are offered support through the Discrimination Complaints Office in accordance with the General Equal Treatment Act of the UHH.