Philosophy of the Department
The Department of Biology is a space that values diversity, inclusion and equal opportunity.
- We are committed to non-discrimination in all areas. This includes personal, gender-, or cultural-based discrimination as well as sexual harassment or assault in any form.
- We stand for equal treatment of persons independent of world view, religion, nationality, age, physical ability, biological sex, sexual orientation, or sexual identity.
- We embrace differing views and approaches with respect and impartiality, which nurtures the colorful, vibrant and open-minded culture within the department
- We invite students and staff of the Department of Biology to join us in our mission and actively take part in upholding its principles.
Should any individuals nevertheless violate any of these tenets, we strongly encourage you to take action by reporting to the incident to the appropriate body. If you are unable or do not wish to address the involved parties directly, several contact persons within the department and presidential offices of the UHH are available for confidential discussion:
Contact Persons for Students
- The student council(s) of the Department of Biology, i.e., your status representation in the department
- Director of Curriculum and Teaching in the Department of Biology, Prof. Jutta Schneider
- Staff at the Office of Student Affairs
- Director of the Department of Biology
- Vice Dean for Research and Equal Opportunity in the MIN Faculty, Prof. Julia Kehr
- Contact point for Sexual Discrimination and Violence – Franziska Wallburg
Contact Persons for Employees
- Department leadership
- Directors of the four departmental institutes
- The Vice Dean for Research and Equal Opportunity of the MIN Faculty, Prof. Julia Kehr
All of these persons and contact points will take the time to listen to your experiences - which in these circumstances are always regrettably distressing - treat them with confidentiality, and work together with you to toward immediate resolutions and, if necessary, disciplinary action against the violation.
Should the circumstances of the incident burden you to the point of requiring more in-depth support and consultation, resources such as the Psychological Counseling for Students are available for students. Employees are offered support through the Discrimination Complaints Office in accordance with the General Equal Treatment Act of the UHH or Dr. Lisa Gutenbrunner, your contact person for incidences of sexual discrimination and harassment (link).
In addition, UHH offers counseling for supervisors regarding assault prevention and intervention and can also refer suitable external counseling centers.